BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Time for a Confession

Okay, so it's time. Confession number 1.

I once got into a car accident... because I was reading while I was driving.

It's true, I admit it. To defend myself, though, it's not like I was on the freeway or anything. I was in crazy traffic and had been for a while. I was on my way to work and I knew that I wasn't going to be able to read for a while once I got there. I was reading Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility and I had just found out that Willoughby (gasp!) was a sleaze! Much like Marianne, I wanted to know every. single. detail. And I happened to be driving. Or, worse, not driving while I should be driving. Or reading. I've only driven while reading really really really terribly once- after Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows came out at midnight. I freely admit that I held that thing up against the steering wheel while I was on the freeway, but that was only once.

To further defend myself, I should also make it clear that I grew up in Los Angeles. This means, inherently, that this was not even close to the stupidest thing I've ever done while driving. What? You haven't made a left out of a right turn only, gone over a double yellow line and a concrete median, then made a U-turn over the same double yellow line and concrete median while you were driving without a license or registration, just to find out that this terrible idea had literally driven you in a circle around A BIKE COP?!? You've never done that? Well, you're lucky.

I'm a much, much better driver than I was then. The illegal circle of craziness was in college... though the accident was only a few years ago... but I'm much better, I promise!

So, for the brave ones, it's your turn. Have you done anything stupid while reading? Or was reading the stupid thing? (As if.)

That's it for now- Happy Reading!

2 comments:

Kirsten Dana said...

This is driving me crazy, but apparently it works. I'm posting this for Brittny, because I think it's worth everyone reading!

I tried t oleave a comment but didnt work. here goes:
I was at the grocery store with my mom and I would juut read while she was shopping. Not taking my eyes off the book, I leaned up against a cart and chilled there for a few, thinking it was mom's- but it was some stranger's!! I was probably 8. Sort of inconsequential, but MORTIFYING to this day when I think about it.

Sarah said...

I wish I had a funny story to tell, but unfortunately I've got nothin'. Your question does bring one story to mind though, but it's not about me exactly. When I was in 3rd grade our class had those reading contests every month where whoever reads the most books in so many weeks wins a prize of some sort. I never even made it close (as much as I love reading, I am by no means a fast reader). Anyway there was this nerdy chick named Leslie who always won. Always. And she could read so many books so fast we were always impressed. Well one day during reading time me and a friend happened to notice something she was doing while reading. When she'd flip a page, she'd flip more like 10 pages. We were irate! We chewed her out right there on the spot and she was so upset that she got found out she just angrily stared at the same page for the rest of reading time. I still wonder what it was she was thinking about while she was staring at that page.