BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, November 8, 2010

The Mission Statement

It's almost a new year, so it's time for a new blog. Right?

As some of you know, I had a blog (kirstendana.blogspot.com) called Taking the Powell's Challenge. In short, I was trying to read EVERY book that Powell's staffers recommended from 2009- 155 books, if I'm not mistaken. To no one's surprise, I didn't finish, though I will say that I think I made a pretty good go of it for a while.

Here's what happened and what I realized. For those of you who don't know me, I hope this will serve as an introduction.

I stopped going through the list when my father-in-law passed away. Not because it was so traumatic (although it was, obviously), but simply because everything was out of whack for a while. A long while, honestly. Besides the legal ramifications of a death in the family (blech) there was also travel, family, and grieving- and all of these things took precedence, obviously. By the time life started to be normal again (for lack of a better word) I was knee deep in a leadership position for the Compassion Tigard clinic (compassionconnect.org) and that took me all the way through the end of October. It was an amazing experience that left me drained, to say the least.

And now here we are, early in November. I'm attempting to write a novel for NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month- nanowrimo.org) while planning our trip to LA for Thanksgiving and still finishing our Christmas shopping before we get there (which will make December a piece of cake). We're also looking for a house, just to top it all off.

And you know what I realized? This may be obvious to everyone, but here it is:

Life will never slow down.

Obviously it will be slower sometimes, but it will never be slow, or relaxing, or paused. It will always be chaotic, things will always come up, and life will never stop happening.

And you know what else? I forgot how much I love to write. And read, for that matter. So what am I going to do? I'm starting a new blog. This one, ideally, will give me more freedom to write whatever I'm thinking- whether it's a confession (there will be many of those, I promise- I'm hoping some people will fly their freak flags with me) or a book review, or just a mental meandering...

So will you join me? We'll have some fun. :)

Happy Reading!

0 comments: