BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Confession #3...

This may not be a shocker, but here it is:

I love books about books.

*gasp*- Right? So, let's discuss for a moment. I chose to make this a confession rather than a random post because it goes beyond a normal liking. I am absolutely, unequivocally, irrevocably passionate about books and literacy. What's more is that I am an absolute sucker for anyone that feels the same way. Some books paint such a powerful picture of the strength and wisdom that words, literacy, and books can bring, that it just makes me melt. And then there are other books that are simply a love story to books, and well, there I go- head over heels.

Examples that come to mind are The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, about a girl that lives in Germany during WWII, or These is My Words by Nancy Turner, about a girl that settles in the Arizona Territories. I even loved A Novel Bookstore, by Laurence Cosse, about some people that open a bookstore that sells only good books (I wish!).

It even goes beyond that- I fell in love with Jane Eyre when I was 13 because she would hide in the window seat, asking to be left alone to read. My favorite Disney princess is Belle because of her ginormous library and singing songs about books. (Well, okay, that's not true. My favorite is Sleeping Beauty, but for other reasons. If I were being objective, it would be Belle who is, easily, a close second.) Basically, I love characters who love books as much as I do.

I think the crux of it is this- with books about the power of books, I feel normal. I feel like someone really gets it- someone (even if they're fictional, though I suspect the author is not) agrees with me about the essence of literacy. I've always heard this quote, though credited to a few different people, and I think it explains what I'm feeling quite eloquently. "For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who don't, none will do." You see? Instead of the thousand upon thousands of people who LOATHE reading (coughcoughmyveryownhusbandcoughcough), there is someone out there that I don't have to explain it to. I enjoy a kinship with these books, these characters, these authors, and these readers.

Alright, that's my two cents on the subject. So now, as always, I have some questions- What books about books am I missing? Am I alone in feeling like the authors of these books are my brethren? What are your thoughts on the subject in general?

Til next time, Happy Reading!

0 comments: