BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Confession # 2...

It's been a while, I know. So let's go with another confession to get things rolling again.

Confession # 2- I'm a title snob.

Now, I know Shakespeare is sort of a genius and all, but when he says "What's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet", I've gotta say, I disagree. Not that he doesn't have a sweet sentiment there, but some words are just GROSS. You know the ones I mean- crusty, moist (hehe, I know a few of you just shuddered)... need I go on?

So the thing is, I like books with awesome titles. By awesome, I mostly mean snobby. I am far more likely to pick up a book called The Elegance of the Hedgehog (it's true, I bought it at an airport) than, say, Catching Fire. Incidentally, I liked The Elegance of the Hedgehog, but I LOVED Catching Fire, so that goes to show you what kind of indicator my snobbery is of actual quality.

Other evidence of this can be found in The Imperfectionists, The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, and... another book that I read recently that I'm forgetting. Arg. I don't always like these books, necessarily, but I'll pick them up over others just based on the title. These Is My Words? Yes please! The Book Thief? Meh... (Both were phenomenal books, fyi...)So why do I do this to myself?

Anyways, the point is, I don't think I'm the only one. Do you judge a book by its title? This is different from judging it by its cover (which will be another confession). What book titles have been intriguing enough for you to pick it up, knowing nothing about it? For funsies, what are some other gross words?

Happy Reading!

0 comments: